- Third son of eight children
- Family business in Bridge Construction
- AFS Scholar to US, Junior Scholarship, 1st Class Honours, Degree Civil Engineering
- PhD Canterbury University - Thesis on NZ Landslides
Work and Business Experience:
- Local Government Engineering, Consulting Engineering, Equipment Hire Business
- First stood for Council while at High School, three years as District Councillor
- Strong involvement in sporting and youth organisations.
- MP for Tasman (1990-1996) | MP for Nelson (1996-2020)
- Minister for the Environment | Minister for Building and Construction
- Former Minister of Conservation, Education, Corrections, Local Government, ACC and Climate Change Issues
- Former Associate Minister of Immigration, Treaty Negotiations and Social Welfare.
- Kayaking, tennis, tramping, fishing, rugby
- Completed 1995 Coast to Coast with Rt Hon Bill English
- Kayaked Cook Strait 1999 with Rt Hon Bill English
- Completed Rainbow Rage in March 2000